El Monte (ĕl mŏnˈtē) [key], city (1990 pop. 106,209), Los Angeles co., S Calif.; inc. 1912. A residential, industrial, and commercial city in the San Gabriel Valley, El Monte manufactures furniture, electronic equipment, semiconductors, chemicals, and plastic and metal products. The population has increased by more than 40% since the 1970s, diminishing the walnut groves the city is known for. El Monte was founded in 1852 by westward-bound pioneers on the Santa Fe Trail.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on El Monte from Infoplease:
- El Monte: meaning and definitions - El Monte: Definition and Pronunciation
- South El Monte: meaning and definitions - South El Monte: Definition and Pronunciation
- South El Monte - South El Monte South El Monte, city (1990 pop. 20,850), Los Angeles co., S Calif., in the San ...
- El Monte, California, Housing Statistics - California Atlas Housing Statistics El Monte, California QuickFacts · Demographic · ...
- El Monte, California, Demographic Statistics - California Atlas Demographic Statistics El Monte, California QuickFacts · Demographic ...