East Liverpool, industrial city (1990 pop. 13,654), Columbiana co., E central Ohio, on the Ohio River near the Pa. and W.Va. borders; settled 1798 as St. Clair, called Fawcett's Town until its incorporation as East Liverpool in 1834. Extensive clay deposits in the area are used in making pottery, brick, and tile. A ceramics center since about 1839, it has a museum housing a historical pottery collection.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on East Liverpool from Infoplease:
- East Liverpool: meaning and definitions - East Liverpool: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/east liverpool - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- David Gilmour Blythe - Blythe, David Gilmour Blythe, David Gilmour , 1815–65, American artist, b. East Liverpool, ...
- Ruth Crawford - Crawford, Ruth Crawford, Ruth, 1901–53, American composer, b. East Liverpool, Ohio. Crawford ...
- George Pierce IKIRT - George Pierce IKIRT (1852-1927) IKIRT, George Pierce, a Representative from Ohio; born near West ...