Clarksdale, city (1990 pop. 19,717), seat of Coahoma co., NW Miss., on the Sunflower River; inc. 1882. It is a processing and distribution center for agriculture, its main resource. There is also light manufacturing. Clarksdale also is a major center for rhythm-and-blues music.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Clarksdale from Infoplease:
- Clarksdale: meaning and definitions - Clarksdale: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/clarksdale - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Ike Turner - Biography of Ike Turner, Turner was an R&B musician, songwriter, bandleader, producer, talent scout, and the ex-husband of Tina Turner. He was born in Clarksdale, Mi…
- William Webb VENABLE - William Webb VENABLE (1880-1948) VENABLE, William Webb, a Representative from Mississippi; born in ...
- John Lee Hooker - Hooker, John Lee Hooker, John Lee, 1917–2001, American blues singer and guitarist, b. near ...