Cheyenne Mountain, c.9,565 ft (2,915 m), in the Front Range of the Rocky Mts., El Paso co., central Colo., SW of Colorado Springs. Halfway up the mountain, in North Cheyenne Park, is the Shrine of the Sun Memorial, erected in memory of Will Rogers. It consists of a 100-ft (30-m) tower, the interior of which is decorated with frescoes; there is bust of Rogers by Jo Davidson. The headquarters of the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) and other defense facilities are located deep inside the mountain.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cheyenne Mountain from Infoplease:
- Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Colorado Springs, city (1990 pop. 281,140), seat of El Paso co., central Colo., on ...
- Colorado Springs, Colo. - Information on Colorado Springs, Colo. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- The 100 Largest City Parks 2007 - The 100 Largest City Parks 2007 Here's a list of the 100 biggest city parks in the United ...
- U.S. Zoos and Aquariums - U.S. Zoos and Aquariums Source: The facilities listed are members of, and accredited by, the ...
- Encyclopedia: U.S. Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning U.S. Physical Geography.