Branson, city (1990 pop. 3,706), Taney co., SW Mo.; inc. 1904. The primarily residential city's economy is based on tourism, especially to theaters offering live, often lavish country-music shows. With over 30 entertainment theaters, Branson draws millions of visitors annually. Other attractions include the Veterans Memorial Museum, the Roy Rogers–Dale Evans Museum, a scenic railroad, lakes, and caverns. Nearby is the College of the Ozarks.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Branson from Infoplease:
- Richard Branson - Richard Branson entrepreneur, adventurer Born: 1950 Birthplace: Sharnley Green, Surrey, England ...
- Herman Russell Branson - Herman Russell Branson physicist Born: 1914 Birthplace: Pocahontas, Va. As chair of the Department ...
- Richard Branson - Biography of Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin business empire
- BoxCar Willie - BoxCar Willie (Lecil Martin) Age: 67 famed country star who sang of life on the road. His gentle ...
- Dale Evans - Biography of Dale Evans, Partner of singing cowboy Roy Rogers