Bisbee (bĭzˈbē) [key], city (1990 pop. 6,288), seat of Cochise co., SE Ariz., near the Mexican border; inc. 1900. It was formerly a great copper-producing center, but mining has declined significantly. After the rich copper deposits were discovered (c.1876), the city was built in two steep-sided canyons, Mule Pass Gulch and Brewery Gulch. Nearby is Coronado National Memorial (see National Parks and Monuments, table), which commemorates the visit (1540) of Francisco Coronado.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bisbee from Infoplease:
- Horatio BISBEE, Jr. - Horatio BISBEE, Jr. (1839-1916) BISBEE, Horatio, Jr., a Representative from Florida; born in ...
- James Francis McNULTY, Jr. - James Francis McNULTY, Jr. (1925-2009) McNULTY, James Francis, Jr., a Representative from Arizona; ...
- You're Telling Me! (1934) - Starring W.C. Fields, Joan Marsh, Buster Crabbe, Adrienne Ames, Louise Carter
- Jesse Johnson FINLEY - Jesse Johnson FINLEY (1812-1904) FINLEY, Jesse Johnson, a Representative from Florida; born near ...
- Robot & Frank - Starring Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, Liv Tyler, Peter Saarsgard