Benton Harbor, city (1990 pop. 12,818), Berrien co., SW Mich., on Lake Michigan at the mouth of the St. Joseph River opposite St. Joseph; inc. 1869. A long-time fruit industry, tourist, and industrial center, noted for appliance manufacturing, the city declined in the late 20th cent., experiencing severe job and population loss.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Benton Harbor from Infoplease:
- Benton Harbor: meaning and definitions - Benton Harbor: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/benton harbor - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Saint Joseph, river, United States - Saint Joseph Saint Joseph, river, 210 mi (338 km) long, rising in S Mich. and flowing generally ...
- John Crocker SHERWIN - John Crocker SHERWIN (1838-1904) SHERWIN, John Crocker, a Representative from Illinois; born in ...
- Saint Joseph, cities, United States - Saint Joseph Saint Joseph . 1. City (1990 pop. 9,214), seat of Berrien co., SW Mich., a port on ...