Bay Shore, uninc. village (1990 pop. 21,279), Islip town, Suffolk co., SE N.Y., on the south shore of Long Island, at the widest point of Great South Bay; founded 1708. A long-time fishing and duck-hunting center, it is a retail hub and a gateway (by ferry) to Fire Island.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bay Shore from Infoplease:
- Bay Shore: meaning and definitions - Bay Shore: Definition and Pronunciation
- North Bay Shore: meaning and definitions - North Bay Shore: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mario Puzo - Mario Puzo Age: 78 author who penned The Godfather, a bestseller that would later be made into one ...
- Pevensey - Pevensey Pevensey , small town (1991 pop. 2,725), East Sussex, S England, on the English Channel. ...
- Hingham - Hingham Hingham , resort town (1990 pop. 19,821), Plymouth co., E Mass., S of Boston, on the south ...