Barre (băˈrē) [key], city (1990 pop. 9,482), Washington co., central Vt., SE of Montpelier; settled late 18th cent., inc. 1894. Granite quarrying, which began in the region in the early 19th cent., is still important. Railroad equipment, machines, and machine tools are manufactured, and Barre is a center for winter sports, hunting, and fishing.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Barre from Infoplease:
- Barrès: meaning and definitions - Barrès: Definition and Pronunciation
- Isaac Barré - Barré, Isaac Barré, Isaac , 1726–1802, British soldier and politician. He ...
- Maurice Barrès - Barrès, Maurice Barrès, Maurice , 1862–1923, French novelist and nationalist ...
- Siad Barre: meaning and definitions - Siad Barre: Definition and Pronunciation
- Barr, Alfred Hamilton, Jr. - Barr, Alfred Hamilton, Jr. Barr, Alfred Hamilton, Jr., 1902–81, American art historian, b. ...