Aroostook (ərōsˈtŏk, –tĭk, ərŏsˈ–) [key], river, c.140 mi (225 km) long, rising in N Maine and winding E to the St. John River in New Brunswick, Canada. The Aroostook War, caused by boundary disputes between Maine and New Brunswick, took place in the Aroostook valley. The river gives its name to a county in the United States famous for potatoes.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Aroostook from Infoplease:
- Aroostook: meaning and definitions - Aroostook: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/aroostook - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- - Can't read file maine/aroostook-county/default.html
- Caribou, town, United States - Caribou Caribou , town (1990 pop. 9,415), Aroostook co., NE Maine, on the Aroostook River; inc. ...
- Presque Isle - Presque Isle Presque Isle [Fr.,=peninsula], city (1990 pop. 10,550), Aroostook co., NE Maine, inc. ...