Apostle Islands, group of more than 20 wooded islands, in Lake Superior, off N Wis. Madeline, 13 mi (21 km) long, is the largest island and has the group's only settlement, La Pointe. Noted for their wave-eroded cliffs and abundant wildlife, the islands are visited by tourists and hunters. The islands, along with an 11 mi (18 km) strip of the adjacent shoreline, make up Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Apostle Islands from Infoplease:
- National Lakeshores - National Lakeshores Name and location Total acreage Apostle Islands (Wis.) 69,371.89 Indiana Dunes ...
- Wisconsin, state, United States: Geography - Geography The most notable physiographic feature of the state is its profusion of lakes, over ...
- Lake Superior - Superior, Lake Superior, Lake, largest freshwater lake in the world, 31,820 sq mi (82,414 sq km), ...
- Wisconsin - Find Wisconsin stats, facts, state symbols, famous residents, and more.|Information on Wisconsin — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Encyclopedia: U.S. Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning U.S. Physical Geography.