Androscoggin (ăndrəskŏgˈĭn) [key], river, c.175 mi (280 km) long, rising in NE N.H., flowing south and east to enter the Atlantic Ocean at Bath, Maine. Hydroelectric plants, using the river's steep gradient, supply power to nearby towns. The area is a major pulp and paper producer; the practice of floating logs downstream has hindered the river's further development for power.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Androscoggin from Infoplease:
- Androscoggin: meaning and definitions - Androscoggin: Definition and Pronunciation
- - Can't read file maine/androscoggin-county/default.html
- auburn: meaning and definitions - auburn: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lewiston - Lewiston. Lewiston. 1. City (1990 pop. 28,082), seat of Nez Perce co., NW Idaho, at the Wash. line ...
- Berlin, city, United States - Berlin Berlin , city (1990 pop. 11,824), Coos co., NE N.H., in the White Mts. at falls of the ...