Alpena (ălpēˈnə) [key], city (1990 pop. 11,354), seat of Alpena co., N Mich., on Thunder Bay, an arm of Lake Huron; inc. 1871. Limestone quarried nearby is used to make cement, Alpena's chief manufacture. Cement and limestone are transported on the Great Lakes by way of Alpena's harbor. The city lies in a year-round resort area and has an annual winter carnival.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Alpena from Infoplease:
- Alpena: meaning and definitions - Alpena: Definition and Pronunciation
- - Can't read file michigan/alpena-county/default.html
- Frank Douglas SCOTT - Frank Douglas SCOTT (1878-1951) SCOTT, Frank Douglas, a Representative from Michigan; born in ...
- Henry William HARRINGTON - Henry William HARRINGTON (1825-1882) HARRINGTON, Henry William, a Representative from Indiana; born ...
- Truman Handy NEWBERRY - Truman Handy NEWBERRY (1864-1945) Senate Years of Service: 1919-1922 Party: Republican NEWBERRY, ...