Alaska Range, S central Alaska, rising to the highest mountain in North America, Mt. McKinley (20,237 ft/6,168 m). The range divides S central Alaska from the great plateau of the interior. Mt. Spurr, an 11,070-ft-high (3,376-m) volcano 80 mi (129 km) W of Anchorage erupted several times in 1992 after a dormancy of 39 years.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Alaska Range from Infoplease:
- Alaska Range: meaning and definitions - Alaska Range: Definition and Pronunciation
- Foraker: meaning and definitions - Foraker: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kuskokwim - Kuskokwim Kuskokwim , river, c.650 mi (1,046 km) long, rising on the northwest slopes of the Alaska ...
- Pacific Margin - Pacific Margin Pacific Margin, western section of the great North American Cordillera, W United ...
- Mount McKinley - McKinley, Mount McKinley, Mount, peak, 20,320 ft (6,194 m) high, S central Alaska, in the Alaska ...