Twelfth Night, Jan. 5, the vigil or eve of Epiphany, so called because it is the 12th night from Christmas, counting Christmas as the first. In England, Twelfth Night has been a great festival marking the end of the Christmas season, and popular masquerading parties are typical entertainment.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Twelfth Night from Infoplease:
- Twelfth Night: meaning and definitions - Twelfth Night: Definition and Pronunciation
- Twelfth Night - Twelfth Night Director/Writer: Trevor Nunn Director of Photography: Clive Tickner Editor: Peter ...
- Twelfth Night - Starring Nigel Hawthorne, Helena Bonham Carter, Ben Kingsley, Richard E. Grant, Toby Stephens
- William Shakespeare: Twelfth Night, Dramatis Personae -
- William Shakespeare: Twelfth Night, or What You Will - If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die. That strain again! it had a dying