Oregon State University
Oregon State University, at Corvallis; land-grant and state supported; coeducational; chartered 1858 as Corvallis College, opened 1865. In 1868 it was designated Oregon's land-grant agricultural college and was taken over completely by the state in 1885. From 1920 to 1961 it was known as Oregon State College. The university maintains the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, as well as research programs in radiation studies, forestry, computer technology, and environmental studies.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Oregon State University from Infoplease:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.