Nemesis (nĕmˈĭsĭs) [key], in Greek religion and mythology, personification of the gods' retribution for violation of sacred law; the avenger. Sometimes she was said to be the goddess of good and ill fortune.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nemesis from Infoplease:
- What does it mean? nemesis - nemesis The Yankees' nemesis was a.) a controversial owner. b.) incredible pitching. c.) the ...
- nemesis: meaning and definitions - nemesis: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Nemesis - Already blushes on thy cheek The bosom thought which thou must speak; The bird, how far it haply roam By cloud or isle, is flying home; The maiden fea
- Star Trek Nemesis - Starring Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Levar Burton, Michael Dorn
- Nemesis - Nemesis Retribution, or rather the righteous anger of God. A female Greek deity, whose mother was ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Ancient Religion