Goucher College (gouˈchər) [key], at Towson, Md., formerly at Baltimore; inc. 1885, opened 1888 by Methodists as a college for women, coeducational since 1987. It is named after John Franklin Goucher (president of the college, 1890–1908) and his wife, who were among the founders.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.