golden calf, in the Bible, an idol erected by the Israelites on several occasions. Aaron made one while Moses was on Mt. Sinai. Jeroboam I made two, and Hosea denounced a calf in Samaria. A bull cult was widespread in Canaan at the time of the Israelite invasion.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on golden calf from Infoplease:
- golden calf: meaning and definitions - golden calf: Definition and Pronunciation
- golden calf - calf, golden calf, golden, erected by the Israelites on several occasions, as related in the Bible ...
- Golden Calf - Golden Calf We all worship the golden calf, i.e. money. The reference is to the golden calf made by ...
- Horeb - Horeb Horeb , in the Bible, mountain, another name for Mt. Sinai. It is mentioned in Psalm 106 as ...
- Aaron - Aaron Aaron , in the Bible, the brother of Moses and his spokesman in Egypt, and the first high ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Bible: General