Freyja (frāˈyä) [key] or Freya frāˈä, Norse goddess of love, marriage, and fertility. Her identity and attributes were often confused with those of the goddess Frigg. As a deity of the dead, Freyja was entitled to half the warriors killed in battle, the other half going to Odin. She was the sister of the god Frey and was frequently represented as riding in a chariot drawn by cats.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Freyja from Infoplease:
- Freyja - Freyja Daughter of Niörd, goddess of love. She was the wife of Odin, who deserted her because ...
- Vanir: meaning and definitions - Vanir: Definition and Pronunciation
- Frey - Frey Frey , Norse god. He was a beneficent deity associated with the fertilizing powers of the sun ...
- Frigg - Frigg Frigg or Frigga,Norse mother goddess and the wife of Odin (Woden). One of the most important ...
- Brisingamen - Brisingamen Freyja's necklace made by the fairies. Freyja left her husband Odin in order to ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Ancient Religion