distaff: see spinning.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on distaff from Infoplease:
- spinning - spinning spinning, the drawing out, twisting, and winding of fibers into a continuous thread or ...
- distaffer: meaning and definitions - distaffer: Definition and Pronunciation
- Distaff - Distaff Distances: 11/4 miles (1984-87); 11/8 miles (since 1988). Year Winner (Margin) Time Jockey ...
- distaff: meaning and definitions - distaff: Definition and Pronunciation
- Distaff - Distaff A woman. Properly the staff from which the flax was drawn in spinning. The allusion is to ...