bacchantes: see maenads.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on bacchantes from Infoplease:
- bacchant: meaning and definitions - bacchant: Definition and Pronunciation
- maenads - maenads maenads , in Greek and Roman religion and mythology, female devotees of Dionysus. They ...
- bacchante: meaning and definitions - bacchante: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bacchant - Bacchant A person given to habits of drinking; so called from the “bacchants,” or men ...
- Bacchante - Bacchante (2 syl.) A female winebibber; so called from the “bacchantes,” or female ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Ancient Religion