Ashtaroth (ăshˈtərŏth) [key], Hebrew plural form of Ashtoreth, the name of the Canaanite fertility goddess and consort of Baal. Her name is vocalized in Greek as Astarte. She was worshiped at various local shrines. There are several references to her in the Bible.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ashtaroth from Infoplease:
- Ashtaroth - Ashtaroth The goddess-moon in Syrian mythology, called by Jeremiah (vii. 18, xliv. 17, 25) ...
- Astaroth - Astaroth Astaroth , variant of Ashtaroth.
- Adam Lindsay Gordon - Gordon, Adam Lindsay Gordon, Adam Lindsay, 1833–70, Australian poet, b. the Azores. In 1853 ...
- 1 Samuel: 7 - And the men of Kirjath-jearim came, and brought…
- 1 Samuel: 31 - Now the Philistines fought against Israel…
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Ancient Religion