whitewood, common name for numerous unrelated trees having light-colored wood, e.g., the tulip tree (see magnolia), the linden, and the cottonwood (see willow).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on whitewood from Infoplease:
- linden, in botany - linden linden, common name for the Tiliaceae, a family of chiefly woody shrubs and trees. Most ...
- whitewood: meaning and definitions - whitewood: Definition and Pronunciation
- magnolia, in botany - magnolia magnolia, common name for plants of the genus Magnolia, and for the Magnoliaceae, a family ...
- willow - willow willow, common name for some members of the Salicaceae, a family of deciduous trees and ...
- canary wood - canary wood canary wood or canary whitewood,name applied to the timber of the tulip tree (see ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants