sweet fern, common name for several plants belonging to different botanical divisions. One is a shrub of the family Myricaceae (bayberry family) in the division Magnoliophyta; others are plants of the genus Dryopteris in the division Polypodiophyta (ferns).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on sweet fern from Infoplease:
- fern - fern fern, any plant of the division Polypodiophyta. Fern species, numbering several thousand, are ...
- bayberry - bayberry bayberry, common name for the Myricaceae, a family of trees and shrubs with aromatic ...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Nature - The patient Pan, Drunken with nectar, Sleeps or feigns slumber, Drowsily humming Music to the march of time. This poor tooting, creaking cricket, Pan,
- Encyclopedia: Plants - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Plants.
- Louisa May Alcott: Huckleberries - There was a great clashing of tin pails, much running to and fro, and frequent demands for something to eat, one August afternoon, for the boys were g
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants