smelting, in metallurgy, any process of melting or fusion, especially to extract a metal from its ore. Smelting processes vary in detail depending on the nature of the ore and the metal involved, but they are typified in the use of the blast furnace.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on smelting from Infoplease:
- smelt - smelt smelt, common name for a small, slender fish of the family Osmeridae, closely allied to the ...
- smelt: meaning and definitions - smelt: Definition and Pronunciation
- surf smelt: meaning and definitions - surf smelt: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dennis SMELT - Dennis SMELT (1750Â ) SMELT, Dennis, a Representative from Georgia; born near Savannah, Ga., ...
- Smelts - Smelts (Stock-Exchange term), meaning “English and Australian copper shares.” (See ...