self-heal or heal-all, weedy perennial ( Prunella vulgaris ) with the typical angular stems and bluish flowers of the family Labiatae (mint family). Although it probably originated in the Old World, self-heal is now distributed throughout temperate climates and is a common plant of North American pastures and open woods. It was formerly used as a domestic remedy for sore throats and other minor ailments. Prunella is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Lamiales, family Labiatae.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on self-heal from Infoplease:
- heal-all - heal-all: heal-all: see self-heal.
- selfheal: meaning and definitions - selfheal: Definition and Pronunciation
- NEW MATERIALS - Materials scientists develop and test new materials that do certain jobs better than existing materials, or are easier or cheaper to make. Scientists
- Patrisia Gonzales - Patrisia Gonzales journalist Born: 6/1959 Birthplace: Ft. Worth, Tex. Gonzales earned a bachelor of ...
- mint, in botany - mint mint, in botany, common name for members of the Labiatae, a large family of chiefly annual or ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Plants