nadir (nāˈdər) [key] [Arab., = opposite], in astronomy, the point on the celestial sphere directly opposite the zenith, i.e., directly beneath the observer.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on nadir from Infoplease:
- nadir: meaning and definitions - nadir: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nadir Shah - Nadir Shah Nadir Shah or Nader Shah, 1688–1747, shah of Iran (1736–47), sometimes ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/nadir - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Nadir - Nadir An Arabic word, signifying that point in the heavens which is directly opposite to the ...
- Zenith, Nadir - Zenith, Nadir Zenith is the point of the heavens immediately over the head of the spectator. Nadir ...