Morgan horse, breed of American light horse descended from a single progenitor—the famous Justin Morgan. Morgans are used as all-purpose light horses and are very popular on cattle ranches. Their average height is just under 15 hands (60 in./150 cm), and their average weight is about 1,000 lb (450 kg). Bay, chestnut, and black are common colors.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Morgan horse from Infoplease:
- Justin Morgan - Justin Morgan Justin Morgan, 1792–1821, American horse, the foundation sire of the Justin ...
- George Whitman HENDEE - George Whitman HENDEE (1832-1906) HENDEE, George Whitman, a Representative from Vermont; born in ...
- Vermont - Information on Vermont — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Encyclopedia: Agriculture: Animals - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Agriculture: Animals.
- State Symbols - State Symbols State Song Bird Tree Flower Alabama “Alabama” (1931) yellowhammer (1927) ...