Mercalli scale: see Richter scale.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mercalli scale from Infoplease:
- Richter scale - Richter scale Richter scale , measure of the magnitude of seismic waves from an earthquake, devised ...
- Mercalli scale: meaning and definitions - Mercalli scale: Definition and Pronunciation
- earthquake - earthquake earthquake, trembling or shaking movement of the earth's surface. Most earthquakes ...
- seismology: Development of Seismology - Development of Seismology The American scientist John Winthrop (1714–79), often called the ...
- EARTHQUAKES - Earthquakes are caused by movements of the giant tectonic plates that form Earth’s crust. SEISMOLOGY is the study of earthquakes. Most occur at cracks