market gardening, cultivation, on suburban land of high value, of vegetables and flowers for the supply of nearby cities. Heavy fertilizing and the planting of successive crops are employed to obtain continuous returns from the acreage. Sales are to greengrocers and florists, principally through commission agents. See truck farming.
See R. Webber, Market Gardening (1972).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on market gardening from Infoplease:
- market garden: meaning and definitions - market garden: Definition and Pronunciation
- truck farm: meaning and definitions - truck farm: Definition and Pronunciation
- Chertsey - Chertsey Chertsey , town (1991 pop. 10,198), Surrey, SE England. Its market gardens serve London. ...
- Leamington, town, Canada - Leamington Leamington , town (1991 pop. 14,182), S Ont., Canada, on Lake Erie. In a ...
- Walton and Weybridge - Walton and Weybridge Walton and Weybridge , city (19981 pop. 50,031), Surrey, SE England. It is ...