electrophorus, device used to generate static electric charges. It has two parts: a nonconducting plate (e.g., of hard rubber) that is negatively charged and a metal plate with an insulated handle. A positive charge is induced on the metal plate by placing it on the charged plate and then grounding the metal plate momentarily. This positive charge can then be used for experimentation. See electrostatics.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on electrophorus from Infoplease:
- electrophorus: meaning and definitions - electrophorus: Definition and Pronunciation
- electric eel: meaning and definitions - electric eel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Volta, Alessandro, Conte - Volta, Alessandro, Conte Volta, Alessandro, Conte , 1745–1827, Italian physicist. He was ...
- Alessandro Volta - Biography of Alessandro Volta, The Italian who built the first battery
- electric fish - electric fish electric fish, name for various fish that produce electricity by means of organs ...