cairn, pile of stones, usually conical in shape, raised as a landmark or a memorial. In prehistoric times it was usually erected over a burial. A barrow is sometimes called a cairn.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on cairn from Infoplease:
- cairn: meaning and definitions - cairn: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Elliot Cairnes - Cairnes, John Elliot Cairnes, John Elliot , 1823–75, Irish economist, a follower of John ...
- Cairns: meaning and definitions - Cairns: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cairns - Cairns Cairns, city (1991 pop. 64,463), Queensland, NE Australia, on Trinity Bay. It is a principal ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cairns - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus