biplane, aircraft, typically of early design, having two sets of wings fixed at different levels, especially in a vertical stack with the fuselage included between them. See airplane.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on biplane from Infoplease:
- biplane: meaning and definitions - biplane: Definition and Pronunciation
- sesquiplane: meaning and definitions - sesquiplane: Definition and Pronunciation
- stagger: meaning and definitions - stagger: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anthony Fokker - Fokker, Anthony Fokker, Anthony , 1890–1939, Dutch-American aircraft manufacturer, b. Kediri, ...
- Alberto Santos-Dumont - Santos-Dumont, Alberto Santos-Dumont, Alberto , 1873–1932, Brazilian aeronaut. The son of a ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Aviation: General