American water spaniel
American water spaniel, breed of medium-sized sporting dog developed in the American Midwest. It stands about 17 in. (43.2 cm) high at the shoulder and weighs between 30 and 40 lb (13.6–18.1 kg). Its dense and closely curled coat ranges in color from solid liver to dark chocolate. A sturdy, muscular dog, the American water spaniel is a versatile scent hunter, flushing, or springing, game birds rather than pointing them. It is a strong swimmer and retrieves both on land and water. It is also used for hunting rabbits and other small animals. See dog.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on American water spaniel from Infoplease:
- American water spaniel: meaning and definitions - American water spaniel: Definition and Pronunciation
- water spaniel: meaning and definitions - water spaniel: Definition and Pronunciation
- sporting dog - sporting dog sporting dog, classification used by breeders and kennel clubs to designate dogs bred ...
- Wisconsin - Find Wisconsin stats, facts, state symbols, famous residents, and more.|Information on Wisconsin — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Encyclopedia: Dogs - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Dogs.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Dogs