Allosaurus, late Jurassic carnivorous dinosaur of the W United States. Specimens of 30 to 40 ft (9 to 12 m) have been found. It had stong hind legs, smaller sharply clawed forelimbs, two small horns directly above the eyes, and expandable jaws that could widen to consume large pieces of meat.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Allosaurus from Infoplease:
- allosaur: meaning and definitions - allosaur: Definition and Pronunciation
- Most All-American: - Most All-American: Allosaurus Allosaurus (c) Joe Tucciarone Meaning of Name: “different or ...
- Classification of the Dinosaurs - Classification of the Dinosaurs Dinosaurs (“terrible lizards”) belong to a large group ...
- PREHISTORIC LIFE - Since life began, more than 3.5 billion years ago, evolution has produced an enormous variety of living things. The earliest living things were simple
- Utah - Find out the state motto, symbols, flag, major cities, famous natives and more.|Information on Utah — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.