Zerah (zēˈrə) [key], in the Bible. 1 Younger of the twin sons of Judah and his daughter-in-law Tamar. The following patronymics are apparently derived from his name: Zarhite, Izrahite, and Ezrahite. 2 Duke of Edom. Gen. 36.13,17; 1 Chron. 1.37. 3 Father of an Edomite king. 4 Same as Zohar2. 5 Levite. 6 Leader of an Ethiopian invasion of Judah defeated by King Asa. He is not otherwise known in history.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Zerah from Infoplease:
- Izrahite - Izrahite Izrahite , patronymic: see Zerah 1.
- Zara, in the Bible - Zara Zara or Zarah, same as Zerah 1.
- Ezrahite - Ezrahite Ezrahite , a patronymic: see Zerah 1.
- Zohar - Zohar Zohar , in the Bible. 1. Father of the owner of the cave of Machpelah. 2. Son of Simeon. An ...
- Ethan - Ethan Ethan , in the Bible. 1. Ezrahite; title of Psalm 89. He is probably the same as Ethan, son ...