Uzziah (ŭzĪˈə) [key], in the Bible, king of Judah, son and successor of Amaziah. He rebuilt Elath, port on the Gulf of Aqaba. He was stricken with leprosy after usurping the duties of high priest. He was succeeded by Jotham. He is referred to as Ozias in the Gospel of St. Matthew.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Uzziah from Infoplease:
- Uzziah: meaning and definitions - Uzziah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Azariah: meaning and definitions - Azariah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ozias - Ozias Ozias [Gr.,=Heb. Uzziah], in the Bible. 1. Same as Uzziah 1. 2. Ruler of Bethulia at the time ...
- Jeiel - Jeiel Jeiel , in the Bible. 1. Levite under David. 2. Musician of David. 3. Ancestor of Jahaziel 2. ...
- Jotham - Jotham Jotham , in the Bible. 1. The only one of Gideon's sons not killed by Abimelech; noted ...