Unser, Al (Alfred Unser, Sr.)ŭnˈsər 1939–, American automobile racing driver, b. Albuquerque, N.Mex. In three decades (1964–94) under the aegis of the United States Auto Club (later Championship Auto Racing Teams) he won the Indianapolis 500 four times (1970–71, 1978, 1987), along with 35 other races. His brother Bobby Unser (Robert William Unser), 1934–, b. Albuquerque, won the Indy 500 three times (1968, 1975, 1981). Al's son, Al Unser, Jr. (Alfred Unser, Jr.), 1962–, also b. Albuquerque, won the Indianapolis race in 1992 and 1994. The Unsers have all also raced stock and sports cars.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Al Unser from Infoplease:
- Unser: meaning and definitions - Unser: Definition and Pronunciation
- 2003 Indy Racing League Point Standings - 2003 Indy Racing League Point Standings Driver Pts 1. Scott Dixon 507 2. Gil de Ferran 489 3. Helio ...
- New Mexico - Information on New Mexico — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Money Leaders - Money Leaders FINAL 2001 Earnings 1 Sam Hornish Jr. $2,477,025 2 Helio Castroneves 1,305,075 3 ...
- May 29 Birthdays: John F. Kennedy - May 29 birthdays: John F. Kennedy, Melissa Ethridge, Al Unser, Sr., T. H. White, Patrick Henry, Bob Hope