Shallum (shălˈəm) [key], in the Bible. 1 King of Israel for a month. He killed King Zachariah for the throne and was himself killed by Menahem. 2 King of Judah: see Jehoahaz2. 3 In 1 Kings, husband of Huldah. 4 In 1 Chronicles, chief of a family of porters; called Meshullam in Nehemiah. 5 See Meshelemiah. 6 In Nehemiah, ruler of part of Jerusalem. 7 In 1 Chronicles and Ezra, priest; also called Meshullam in 1 Chronicles and Nehemiah. 8 See Shillem. 9 In 1 Chronicles, Simeonite. 10 In 2 Chronicles, Ephraimite. 11, 12 In Ezra, men who had foreign wives. 13 In 1 Chronicles, descendant of Jerahmeel. 14 In 1 Chronicles, eponymous head of a clan of Naphtali. 15 In Jeremiah, uncle of Jeremiah.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Shallum from Infoplease:
- Hanameel - Hanameel Hanameel , in the Bible, son of Jeremiah's uncle Shallum.
- Meshelemiah - Meshelemiah Meshelemiah , in the Bible, gatekeeper. Alternate forms are Shallum, Shelemiah. amd ...
- Shillem - Shillem Shillem , in the Bible, son of Naphtali. An alternate form is Shallum.
- Halohesh - Halohesh Halohesh [Heb.,=Hallohesh], in the Bible, father of Shallum, ruler in Jerusalem.
- Zachariah - Zachariah Zachariah [Heb.,=Zechariah], in the Bible, king of Israel, son and successor of Jeroboam ...