Russell, Lillian, 1861–1922, American singer and actress, b. Clinton, Iowa. Her original name was Helen Louise Leonard. She first appeared in light opera in 1879. In the early 1880s her introduction by Tony Pastor at his casino in New York City launched her career as "The American Beauty." After 1899 she appeared at Weber and Fields's Music Hall, with the McCaull Opera Company, and later with her own company. She was noted for her flamboyant personality and for her love of jewelry. Her affair with "Diamond Jim" Brady has become a legend.
See biography by P. Morell (1940).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Lillian Russell from Infoplease:
- Russell: meaning and definitions - Russell: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tony Pastor - Pastor, Tony Pastor, Tony, c.1837–1908, American theater manager, b. New York City. Pastor ...
- Iowa - Information on Iowa — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- musicals - musicals musicals, earlier known as musical comedy,. plays that incorporate music, song, and dance. ...
- December 4 Birthdays: Francisco Franco - December 4 birthdays: Francisco Franco, Dennis Wilson, Tyra Banks, Jay-Z, Lillian Russell, Thomas Carlyle, John Cotton, Jeff Bridges, Edith Cavell, Rainer Maria Rilke