Phinehas or Phinees (both: fĭnˈēəs) [key], in the Bible. 1 Grandson of Aaron. His prompt punishment of two flagrant sinners made his name a symbol of holy, zealous indignation. 2 One of Eli's sacrilegious sons: see Hophni.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Phinehas from Infoplease:
- Phinees - Phinees Phinees , variant of Phinehas.
- Putiel - Putiel Putiel , in the Bible, grandfather of Phinehas.
- Cozbi - Cozbi Cozbi , in the Bible, Midianite woman whom Phinehas killed.
- Ichabod - Ichabod Ichabod [Heb.,=inglorious], in the Bible, son of Phinehas and grandson of the High Priest ...
- Numbers - Numbers Numbers, book of the Bible, fourth of the five books of the Law (the Pentateuch or Torah) ...