Orton, Joe, 1933–67, English playwright, b. John Kingsley. After studying acting, he wrote farcical comedies noted for their cynical humor. His plays include The Ruffian on the Stair (1963), Entertaining Mr. Sloan (1964), Loot (1966), and What the Butler Saw (1969). He was murdered by his lover, Kenneth Halliwell, who then committed suicide.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Joe Orton from Infoplease:
- 1969–1970 Obie Awards - 1969–1970 Obie Awards Best American Play Megan Terry, Approaching Simone Paul Zindel, The ...
- comedy: Twentieth-Century Comedy - Twentieth-Century Comedy The 20th cent. has witnessed a number of distinct trends in comedy. These ...
- Entertaining Mr. Sloane (1969) - Starring Beryl Reid, Harry Andrews, Peter McEnery, Alan Webb
- Gary Oldman - Biography of Gary Oldman, Sirius Black in the Harry Potter movies
- Prick Up Your Ears - Starring Gary Oldman, Alfred Molina, Vanessa Redgrave, Frances Barber, Janet Dale