Nefertiti (nĕfˌərtēˈtē) [key] or Nefretete nĕfˌrĕtēˈtē, fl. c.1372–1350 B.C., queen of ancient Egypt; wife of Ikhnaton (XVIII dynasty) and aunt of Tutankhamen. She seems to have been divorced by Ikhnaton late in his reign. The exquisite limestone bust of Nefertiti (Berlin Mus.) has given rise to the tradition that she was one of the most beautiful women of antiquity.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nefertiti from Infoplease:
- Nefertiti: meaning and definitions - Nefertiti: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nofretete: meaning and definitions - Nofretete: Definition and Pronunciation
- King Tut - Biography of King Tut, The ancient Egyptian ruler who became a famous 20th-century mummy
- Cleopatra - Cleopatra Cleopatra , 69 B.C.–30 B.C., queen of Egypt, one of the great romantic heroines of ...
- Ikhnaton - Ikhnaton Ikhnaton or Akhenaton[Egyptian,=Aton is satisfied], d. c.1354 B.C., king of ancient Egypt ...