Nadab (nāˈdăb) [key]. 1 Aaron's eldest son, set apart for the priesthood. The exact nature of the transgression ("offering strange fire") for which he and his brother Abihu died is not clear. 2 King of Israel, son and successor of Jeroboam I. He was assassinated by Baasha in the siege of Gibbethon. 3 Descendant of Jerahmeel. 4 Benjamite.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nadab from Infoplease:
- Nadab: meaning and definitions - Nadab: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nadab - Nadab in Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel, is meant for Lord Howard, of Esrick or ...
- Abihu: meaning and definitions - Abihu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Abihu - Abihu Abihu , in the Bible, son of Aaron, destroyed with his brother, Nadab, for offering ...
- Baasha - Baasha Baasha , king of Israel (c.900–877 B.C.). He made himself king by the murder of King ...