Merlin, in Arthurian legend, magician, seer, and teacher at the court of King Vortigern and later at the court of King Arthur. He was a bard and culture hero in early Celtic folklore. In Arthurian legend he is famous as a magician and as the counselor of King Arthur. In Tennyson's Idylls of the King Merlin is imprisoned eternally in an old oak tree by the treacherous Vivien (or Nimue), when he reveals the secrets of his knowledge to her.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Merlin from Infoplease:
- merlin: meaning and definitions - merlin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Merlin:The Return - Starring Rik Mayall, Patrick Bergin, Craig Sheffer, Adrian Paul, Julie Hartley
- Merlin - Merlin Prince of Enchanters; also the name of a romance. He was the son of a damsel seduced by a ...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Merlin I - Thy trivial harp will never please Or fill my craving ear; Its chords should ring as blows the breeze, Free, peremptory, clear. No jingling serenader'
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Merlin's Song - I Of Merlin wise I learned a song,— Sing it low or sing it loud, It is mightier than the strong, And punishes the proud. I sing it to the surging crow