Mason, James, 1909–84, British stage and film actor. Mason, trained at Cambridge as an architect, became a leading man in British films in the 1940s and thereafter an international star. With a velvet smooth voice and introspective good looks, he played villains and romantic figures with equal skill. Among his best-known films are Odd Man Out (1946), Rommel, Desert Fox (1951), Julius Caesar (1953), A Star is Born (1954), Lolita (1962), Georgy Girl (1966), and The Seagull (1968).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on James Mason from Infoplease:
- James Mason - Biography of James Mason, The smooth English villain from North by Northwest
- James Mason - James Mason actor Born: 5/15/1909 Birthplace: Huddersfield, England A gifted and accomplished ...
- Odd Man Out - Irish Movies Introduction 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next by Beth Rowen Odd Man Out (1947) ...
- Age of Consent - Starring James Mason, Helen Mirren, Jack MacGowran, Neva Carr-Glynn, Andonia Katsaros
- Deborah Kerr - Biography of Deborah Kerr, English actress known for her genteel, tea-sipping screen persona and a sexy beach kiss in “From Here to Eternity.” She was a strikingly ver…