Lawrence or Laurence, Saint, d. 258, Roman deacon and martyr. According to legend he was roasted to death on a gridiron. The Latin Fathers praise him in their writings for his role in the conversion of Rome. One of the most venerated martyrs of the Roman Catholic Church. Feast: Aug. 10.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Saint Lawrence from Infoplease:
- Gulf of Saint Lawrence - Saint Lawrence, Gulf of Saint Lawrence, Gulf of, arm of the Atlantic Ocean, c.100,000 sq mi ...
- Saint Lawrence - Saint Lawrence Saint Lawrence, one of the principal rivers of North America, 744 mi (1,197 km) ...
- Lawrence: meaning and definitions - Lawrence: Definition and Pronunciation
- Caughnawaga - Caughnawaga Caughnawaga , community and Native American reserve, S Que., Canada, on the Saint ...
- United States Department of Transportation - Transportation, United States Department of Transportation, United States Department of, executive ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Saints