Lastman, Pieter (pēˈtər lästˈmän) [key], 1583–1633, Dutch painter. During a stay in Rome, Lastman was influenced by Caravaggio's chiaroscuro technique and by the work of Elsheimer. In Holland he painted historical and biblical scenes remarkable for their vivid, realistic delineation of faces and gestures. Lastman was Rembrandt's teacher and thereby became an important link between the Italian and Dutch baroque styles.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Pieter Lastman from Infoplease:
- Adam Elsheimer - Elsheimer, Adam Elsheimer, Adam , 1578–1610?, German painter. After studying in Frankfurt, ...
- Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn: Early Life - Early Life A miller's son, Rembrandt attended a Latin school and spent part of one year at the ...
- Rembrandt van Rijn - Biography of Rembrandt van Rijn, The Dutch master known for his self-portraits
- Dutch art: The Flowering of Dutch Art: The Seventeenth Century - The Flowering of Dutch Art: The Seventeenth Century The current of Italian Renaissance influence ...
- July 15 Birthdays: Rembrandt - July 15 birthdays: Rembrandt, Iris Murdoch, Mother Cabrini, Clement Moore