Jordanes (jôrdāˈnēz) [key], fl. 6th cent., historian of the Ostrogoths, b. in the lower Danube region. His History of the Goths, an abridgment of the lost work of Cassiodorus, is the only extant source for Ostrogothic history and one of the few works written in Vulgar Latin.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Jordanes from Infoplease:
- chamber pot: meaning and definitions - chamber pot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jordan: meaning and definitions - Jordan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Camille Jordan - Jordan, Camille Jordan, Camille , 1771–1821, French writer and political figure. A moderate ...
- Jordan, river, United States - Jordan Jordan, river, 60 mi (97 km) long, draining Utah Lake N into Great Salt Lake, N central ...
- Barbara Charline Jordan - Barbara Charline Jordan politician and educator Born: 1936 Birthplace: Houston, Tex. Jordan ...